[gtkada] portability of gtk

Jean-Etienne Doucet doucet at laas.fr
Fri Jun 6 09:07:22 CEST 2003

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_De=A0Contes?= <d.l.tDeContes at free.fr>

| hi everybody :-)
|
| for a work experience, i have to make a program which is portable on a
| maximum of different OS
| on the french ada list, men told me that gtk was a good solution, but
| need confirmation
|
| so can you confirm that gtk runs on all windows and on all unixes,
| please ?

Recently, I had to port a small prog developped on Sun Solaris,
written in Ada95 and using GtkAda 1.3.12, unto a PC with Windows XP Pro.

It compiled fine at once.
The only problem I've had was to replace calls to function Parse (for Gdk_Color)
by calls to proc Set_RGB.

So, it took me approx. 5 minutes to have my program running well on the PC.

Another experience is with students (at INSA Toulouse) who had to write
a program using GtkAda: they worked partly at school with Linux (sorry, I can't
remember which one) and partly at home with various flavours of Windows.
The only problem they had was the same I've had, with the Parse function.

For what it's worth...

--jed--