[gtkada] GDK 2.2.0 and Event Handling

Chris Sparks mrada at catalina-inter.net
Wed Jul 9 13:26:28 CEST 2003

Manuel Op de Coul wrote:

>>Does anyone have any idea why when I set the "All Events" Mask for a
>>window that I don't get the Expose, Enter_Notify, Leave_Notify events?
>>

>What happens if you add the eventmask explicitly, like
>Enter_Notify_Mask + Leave_Notify_Mask? For expose this shouldn't
>be necessary.
>
>Manuel

Hi Manuel,

For what you are suggesting, I have done this in the past.  I have
boolean variables that determine if certain pairs of event masks get set
within a window.  So I would control entry, button presses, key board
button presses, and motion (Pointer Motion or
Pointer_Motion_Hint/Button_Motion).  I have to forcefully call my event
handler with an expose event to get the expose to happen.  In the past
when I did a mapping of a window it would just expose the whole window.
 When I move that stupid cmd window and other windows to expose my
application (which is running behind everything else) nothing gets
redrawn as the Expose event should be happening.  When I unmap the same
app window and remap it.  I get weird colors and still no expose events.

In the past when entry was enabled I would run the mouse over a window
and my event handler would draw a box around the window to show focus.
 Now I have to click on the window and I would see a sporadic reference
to enter or leave notify.

I am running the app while I am writing this email and I noticed a new
weird occurence.  I see my focusing logic is work on the odd colored
application and all I get is Motion_Notify Events!  This was after I
enabled all event masks.  Still no proper expose event.  Not even my
forced one.

I am very unhappy with the weirdness of my application!

Chris