[gtkada] Using libglade2 with GtkAda 2.0.0

Arnaud Charlet charlet at ACT-Europe.FR
Sun Feb 16 12:38:17 CET 2003

Congratulations for choosing to develop with GtkAda, you made a good
choice :-)

> The reasons he gave for this are that the code generators for various
> languages, even C, are less well tested than libglade.  In particular,

This is actually not true for Ada/GtkAda.

> the diff-and-patch based method of altering the generated files is
> error-prone.  He also said that the performance hit of loading the XML

Actually the method used by default is to use merge (as cvs does), if
available, which is pretty reliable.

We also have plans to provide a fully integrated GUI builder/IDE/code
generator, ala delphi. In this environment, being able to 'see' the generated
code and to modify it has clearly advantages. So this explains why we are
not pushing to use libglade, which is inherently less safe than generated
code, since everything is done dynamically (interpreted), similarly to
what tcl/tk does.

Now concerning libglade, you are right, GtkAda 2.0 has not been modified to
use libglade2, this is one of the remaining items, although it should not
be very hard to do.

If you (and/or other people) would be kind enough to investigate what is
needed and send patches to this list, we will be very happy to integrate
them.

Arno