[gtkada] Shared libraries and sonames

Ludovic Brenta ludovic.brenta at insalien.org
Mon Dec 1 13:10:46 CET 2003

Hello,

I notice that the soname for the GtkAda 2.2.1 shared libraries
contains the full version number.  As a result, I had a program linked
against GtkAda 2.2.0, and it won't run anymore after I upgraded to
2.2.1.

Is this normal?  The soname is only supposed to change if the binary
interface to the library changes.  Has this been the case with GtkAda?
I used the same compiler (GNAT 3.15p, as it happens) for both 2.2.0
and 2.2.1.

Also, why does GtkAda not follow the naming convention on Unix systems
(e.g. libgtkada.so.2.2.1)?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm packaging GtkAda for Debian, and I
would like to know if one version is binary-incompatible with the
next.  If they are, I must make sure they can coexist in order not to
break existing programs.  This in turn opens a big can of worms in
packaging, and a big QA problem.

--
Ludovic Brenta.