[gtkada] Re: Compiling for GtkAda-1.x and GtkAda-2.x

Sebastian D.B. Krause krause at sdbk.de
Fri Aug 1 19:11:09 CEST 2003

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta at insalien.org> wrote:
> Martin Klaiber <martinkl at zedat.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>> Perhaps it works, if I install the versions in different directories,
>> put both dirs in the PATH and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I'll try that out.
>
> In packaging GtkAda 2.2.0 for Debian, I'm making sure both versions
> can coexist,; and I'm renaming "gtkada-config" to "gtkada2-config".
> So, at least when building, you'd just change your Makefile to use one
> version or the other.

No, please don't do it, because then many programs which use
./configure for GtkAda 2.2 won't find it directly and in all other
cases changing the Makefiles for a non-standard way for using
gtkada-config just sucks.

All you have to do is to let libgtkada1-dev and libgtkada2-dev
conflict with each other (so "gate" and "gtkada-config" must be in
libgtkada2-dev like they are in libgtkada1-dev). This is the normal
Debian way and many packages in Debian do it this way. This makes it
possible to have the libraries itself installed parallel in
different versions on the system, only the headers can't be
installed in version 1.2 and 2.2 the same time.

There aren't many cases in which someone *needs* to have installed
both version *for* *development* (not for use, there a parallel
installation is no problem) at the same time. At the moment the
*only* package that depends on libgtkada1 is gvd which is supposed
to be replaced by GPS, so there won't be any need for libgtkada1
anymore soon (in the rare case where you need to compile gvd or some
GtkAda 1.2 program you can of course still install libgtkada1-dev).

So please don't try some dirty workarounds, the faster GtkAda 2.2
replaces version 1.2 the better. And both version are rather
compatible, so this shouldn't be that hard. The fact that libgtkada1
is almost not used in Debian at all makes the replacement a lot
easier.

Sebastian