[gtkada] GtkAda 2.0 on Linux: build problem

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Mon Sep 9 21:54:48 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 07:24:29PM +0200, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

> > Ah well, here I go!  It'll be nice to have a harmonised gcc distro.

Yes. Works well here.

> FWIW, you chose the most unreliable and adventurous solution:

I beg to differ. For example you cannot compile the PostgreSQL-Interface
pg2, which is now part of the Adalib, with gnat-3.14p, but you can do the
job with gnat-3.13p.

gnat-3.14p is buggy. Everywhere. Sure gcc-3.3 is it, too, but there are
miles between them. You cannot compile GtkAda-1.3.x with gcc-3.x, that's
an obvious compiler-bug, but the code-quality of gcc-3.x is much butter.

> GNAT has not been tested at all with GCC 3.3. I believe there have been
> changes in the GCC back end interface in 3.3 (HEAD) that have not been
> synchronized yet with GNAT.

To be more precise, this is true for gcc-3.1 and gcc-3.2 as well.

The version from February, after the big merge, should be quite usable.
The changes made to the gcc-backend afterwards broke a lot. Some of
these disadvantages are known, e.g. a failing bootstrap on SPARC.

I was talking to Florian Weimar, he also believes that the February-gcc
is one of the better onces while there might be real difficulties with
actual gcc-3.3-cvs-versions.

I state again that I was having trouble with gcc-3.x-cvs since June, but
yesterday a built succeeded making me able to compile GtkAda2-cvs and
the Pg2-package.

As long as there are no problems on ix86 I'll go on using gcc-3.3 and
doing the necessary alpha-tests :)

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Heute ist der erste Tag vom Rest Deines Lebens.