[gtkada] Notebook question

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Tue Oct 8 14:25:22 CEST 2002

manuel.op.de.coul at eon-benelux.com wrote on 08/10/2002 (13:43) :
> >I'm a bit confused with your design. If you have only one widget why do
> >you use a notebook in the first place?
>
> I my program I have an array of objects that
> the user interacts with. I wanted to use a
> notebook to show a text representation of them,
> one at a time. The tabs allow a quick selection
> of the object. I also have a spinbutton for the
> object number, which is connected to the notebook
> tabs.

Ok I'm not sure I understand but lets look at an example (you must view
this with monospace fonts like courier).

Say you have a program teaching about fruits. You have apples, oranges
and bananas. When you press on a tab you get a picture of the fruit and
some information about the fruit in a Text widget.

I would have designed this like this:

a hbox where I pack a notebook and a textwidget:

|  _____ ______ ______                                        |
| |Apple|Orange|Banana|     --------------------------------- |
| |----------------------   | The first trees to produce  |^| |
| |                     |   | sweet, flavourful apples    |#| |
| |       ,--./,-.      |   | similar to those we enjoy   |#| |
| |      / #      \     |   | today, were located many    |#| |
| |     |          |    |   | thousands of years ago near | | |
| |      \        /     |   | the modern city of Alma-Ata,| | |
| |       `._,._,'      |   | Kazakhstan.                 | | |
| |                     |   |                             | | |
| -----------------------   | The Greeks were growing     | | |
|                           | several varieties of apples | | |
|                           | by the late 300's BC, and   |v| |

And then every time one jump to a new page the text widget that is
outside the notbook gets new text. Thought I might have misunderstood
your program.

--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»