[gtkada] configuration files

Stephen Leake stephen_leake at acm.org
Wed May 29 02:29:31 CEST 2002

Preben Randhol <randhol at pvv.org> writes:

> But I don't think we should allow sloppy config files. I mean I don't
> see any reason why one should make a lot of functions that try to
> interpret what the user wrote, but rater have a strict syntax and
> complain if this is not followed.

In general I agree.

> Example
>
> [Directory]
> Some_Value=
> 10
> Help=/usr/share/
>
> 1) Some_Value doesn't belong to Directory. We should then complain and
>    not guess that it belongs to some other section.

Or ignore it; programmer choice. The Windows ini interface simply
ignores any keys that are not asked for.

> 2) Not allow whitespaces before after =

Whitespace I'd like to allow; it's easy to skip. However, the extra
newline is not ok. If a variable definition is not terminated by
newline, we need some other terminator, which makes string values
complicated.

--
-- Stephe