[gtkada] configuration files

Stephen Leake stephen_leake at acm.org
Wed May 29 02:20:36 CEST 2002

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre at nbi.dk> writes:

> If users are not supposed to edit the configuration files by
> hand, then the format can just as well be a simple dump of
> an internal data structure.

This is true, but it must also be portable across systems. So it has
to be ASCII, or at least endian-independent.

> The whole idea with using the "ini file" format is that it is a
> known and somewhat intuitive format for people to edit by hand.

Well, not the _whole_ idea, but I agree it's important. I'd also like
to be able to create config files in Gnu configure scripts; human
readable is nice for that as well.

> Introducing specific limitations like parameter order will make it
> more difficult for the users to edit the files, since they will have
> to keep an eye on the parameter order as well.

Yes, the fetch value by key mechanism must be independent of section
and key order in the file.

--
-- Stephe