[gtkada] Glade or not to Glade?

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Tue Jun 4 17:29:13 CEST 2002

Jeremy Cowgar <develop at cowgar.com> wrote on 04/06/2002 (17:10) :
> Do most people use Glade to develop their Ada/Gtk apps or skip it and
> code the GUI? I do not have much experience with it and was simply
> curious what the general opinion was.

I use Glade to make the GUI. However I'm a bit odd so I usually take the
source genereated by Glade and incorporate it into my program. The
drawback is that is becomes a bit harder to change the code. The
advantage is that I then get more control. I guess it is also because
I'm learning Ada so I want to fiddle with all the parts. Another reason
is that when I started using glade I didn't realise that you could
spesify the callbacks.

At the moment Glade doesn't support Styles and Eventboxes so you cannot
set the colour of some text if you want to. For most cases you don't
need this, but in some you do and then you need to do a bit hand
editing.

I recommend strongly that you use Glade especially if you do not know
GtkAda so well. It will save you a lot of time. Not only on the code
generation, but also to understand how you pack widgets in Gtk+/GtkAda.
Please read a bit on packing here:

http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/docs/gtkada_ug.html#SEC10

and

http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/ch-packingwidgets.html

(the last is for C code, but you should read it anyway)

Do not use the Gtk_Fixed widget unless you really need it for something
special.

--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»