[gtkada] Glade and selecting the right widget

Frode Tennebø frode at tennebo.com
Thu Jan 10 21:28:22 CET 2002

After some Deep Though® I have started implementing my application.
This is my first Gtk(Ada) appliation and am having ambigious
experiences compared to Motif. :) Again, it more of an Gtk+ issue, but
I hope you can bear with me.

Currently I'm designing the interface using Glade, and though it is
pretty basic I have a wish I'm not entirely sure how to implement. I'm
want a hpane divided in two where one of them is a vertical list of say
up to 10 elements of a composit widget with three widgets; a pushb, an
optionm and a textf.

The user starts with one entry in the list and can add more using a
separate pushb. The user can then remove an entry pushing the pushb
belonging to that entry. This interface is for selecting various
criterias for searching in a database. The optionm selects the key
while the textf is the search text.

I asume that I have to put the three widgets which I am reusing into a
window, but how can I add properties to the instances so that they are
'unique'? Or do I need to do that at all?

I'm thinking of using a vbox as a container - should I set it up with a
fixed size (ie. no. of boxes) or is it better to have it dynamically
resize?

Thoughts and pointers are much appreciated.

 -Frode