[gtkada] mac gnat

Roy M. Bell rmbell at acm.org
Thu Jan 10 12:57:00 CET 2002

Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le jeudi 10 janvier 2002, à 12:57 , Roy M. Bell a écrit :
>
>> Preben Randhol wrote:

>>> You will need gtk for mac, check http://www.macgimp.org/ about progress
>>> on the porting.
>>>
>>> Preben
>>>

>> My impression is that the port of GTK to the Mac is reasonably good.
>> The main problem is that version of GNAT for the Mac is still in
>> alpha stage. In particular it doesn't yet support tasking. I would be
>> very surprised if all of gtkada can be compiled by the "non-tasking"
>> subset.
>

> thank you
> i would do many tests, but if you tell me it runs, i know i must have
> success !
> is gtk already on macintoshs ?
> if not, what is given by apple and why gtk has been made ? (if someone
> knows)

The macgimp web site listed above indicates that there are people
working on porting GTK directly to the Apple GUI. This would indeed be a
great enhancement. In the mean time you might find that versions of GTK
running on top of a port of X-widows for the Mac will be more stable.

Neither X-window nor GTK are provided by Apple. You should be able to
find everything you need on the macgimp web site listed above. A quick
glance indicates there are two open source implementations called "X on
X" and "Fink". There is also implementation that you can purchase from
Tennon. Again the macgimp web site is an excellent web site for this
information.

-- Roy