[gtkada] GVD (was: Phanax: A GtkAda-based presentation tool.)

Robert B. Love rlove at neosoft.com
Wed Sep 13 04:57:03 CEST 2000

You wrote:
> > I'm a little unsure what that is.  Is GVD a front end to gdb?  Or
> > is it a debugger and UI together.  Is there a write up or "sales
> > brochure" for GVD?
>
> You can take a look at <http://www.act-europe.fr/gvd and
> <http://gtkada.eu.org/gvd/gvd.html

I'm afraid it didn't clear things up any.  Let me quote portions
of the web page.

      GVD, the GNU Visual Debugger, is an extensible graphical
      debugger...

This seems to say that GVD is a debugger.

However the page also says:

      * Handling of different debuggers. This includes native
        and cross debuggers...

This seems to say that GVD is a front end, a graphical UI put on other
debuggers.  Also, the screenshot seems to show the (gdb) command line.

I'm impressed either way but it seems like it would be much more work
to write a full debugger than just a UI to an existing debugger.

This isn't really related to GtkAda so I'll drop any further questions
but it does show off the versatility of Gtk.

 Bob Love
 rlove at neosoft.com