[gtkada] survey: what applications do you develop ?

marcos.sanchez at ferrovial.es marcos.sanchez at ferrovial.es
Mon Mar 20 19:05:01 CET 2000

Dear friends,

First of all I want to congratulate everyone involved Gtkada developement
for this wonderful high quality tool.

I am writing a Finite Element Analysis Code(1), oriented to Bridge Design
mainly.
I am working hardly in the core of the program that does not need GTKADA
initially but both pre- and post-processing needs to be strongly
graphic/interactive.

Altough this project is in a very early stage of developement: at this time
I am still
using -unfortunately- commercial software(SAP2000)for core analysis, as main
program I have
some pre-and post processing already done and part of my own core program (a
direct sparse
solver(2) and a simple frame 3D finite element (this part is very very
beta)).

I prefer Linux as a developement OS, however WindowsNT/98 is -still- more
common among Civil
Engineers and Ada95 is a good language for a civil engineer writing end-user
applications
without a deep knowledge of sofware engineering techniques.

Due to these two reasons GTKADA is the PERFECT tool to my purposes, and will
allow a future migration
of all my applications to linux or any other platform where GTK is
available. Of course all my code will
be released under GPL License :-).

I am also writing a program for analysis of reinforced and prestessed
concrete and structural steel sections.

What I miss in GTKADA is:

1) A Gnome-canvas like widget.
2) A Gtk-sheet like widget to allow multiple & dynamic input.

Thanks again,

Marcos

PS: Sorry about the "jargon":

(1) Finite Element Analysis : Discrete analysis applied to differential
equations consisting in
approximate a continuum by elements
("Bricks-Thetraedrons/Rectangles-Triangles/Bars depending on
the dimension 3/2/1D) and reducing the system to a linear system (usually
quite big,i.e 2000-50000 variables).

(2) Sparse matrix: Large matrix (i.e. 15000x15000) but with a big amount of
null terms.

As soon as the programs are stable enough I will set up a web page and will
post it in this mailing list
(forecast: Sep2000 ;->)

Marcos Sanchez

"Creativity and intrinsic interest diminish if task is done for gain"
Alfie Kohn