[gtkada] bad mapping for Get(Gtk.Label)?

Jake Hamby jehamby at anobject.com
Thu Mar 9 09:11:43 CET 2000

Hi all,

First, let me say that GtkAda looks great!  I did some Ada programming in
college, and lately I've been revisiting Ada 95, as I've been disgusted
with the difficulty of writing reliable C and C++ code, and the slow speed
of Java.

Anyway, having said that, I'm not an Ada 95 guru (yet!), but the mapping
for Get(Gtk.Label) looks less than useful.  As far as I can tell, you need
to know in advance the length of String to allocate for it.  In fact, if
I try to use a String which is too small, I get a CONSTRAINT_ERROR at
runtime.  A version which returns Unbounded_String, or a procedure version
something like Text_IO.Get_Line(s: out String; len: out Natural), would
make a lot more sense to me.  Thanks!

-Jake