[gtkada] Licence

Arnaud Charlet charlet at ACT-Europe.FR
Sun Jul 2 15:12:23 CEST 2000

> 1) What's the licence of Odd ? (Free software = GPL ?)

Odd is GPL.

> 2) Where is it possible to download Odd ?

Nowhere currently, this is a work in progress, we will distribute it when we
feel that it is in a satisfactory state.

> 3) What's the licence of glide ? Apparently, it's a closed-source
> program, reserved for the Gnat customers :(

I don't know where your impression came from, but Glide is GPL.
Now, GPL does not mean that there should be a public version as you seem to
imply.

> I strongly think that Ada is a great language, but that it's not popular
> because of the lack of good visual tools. If glide is not GPL, then i
> would eventually start to code an alternative, with GtkAda. (it's also a
> good way to test GtkAda!)

I've seen many cases in the past where people argued that if someone did X
then Y would become popular. Then X happened and Y didn't become popular.
This is a common shortcut that many people tend to do, even if I'd
like you to be right ;-)

Concerning writing an IDE using GtkAda, by all means, please go on, there
are already many IDEs for Ada, and having one more written in GtkAda would
certainly be a nice thing.

Arno