[gps-users] ESSENTIAL BUG

Tillmann Eid t.eid at gmx.de
Mon May 26 07:44:49 CEST 2008

Hi there,

Although I'm very enthusiastic about Ada's possibilities and its safety,
it's just some days ago that I encoutered a real bug while compiling. I
reproduced it with this minimal code(see below)

When compiling it chrashes with this message:

###### ERROR MESSAGE ######

gnatmake -P....\Ada\Comp_Error\comp_error.gpr Compilation_Error.adb -d
gcc -c "-gnatec=....Ada\Comp_Error\GNAT-TEMP-000001.TMP" -I- -gnatA
"-gnatem=....Ada\Comp_Error\GNAT-TEMP-000002.TMP"
"....Ada\Comp_Error\Compilation_Error.adb"
+===========================GNAT BUG DETECTED==============================+
| GPL 2007 (20070405-41) (i586-pc-mingw32msv) Program_Error
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION|
| Error detected at compilation_error.adb:20:4                             |
| Please submit a bug report by email to report at adacore.com.               |
| GAP members can alternatively use GNAT Tracker:                          |
| http://www.adacore.com/ section 'send a report'.                         |
| See gnatinfo.txt for full info on procedure for submitting bugs.         |
| Use a subject line meaningful to you and us to track the bug.            |
| Include the entire contents of this bug box in the report.               |
| Include the exact gcc or gnatmake command that you entered.              |
| Also include sources listed below in gnatchop format                     |
| (concatenated together with no headers between files).                   |
| Use plain ASCII or MIME attachment.                                      |
+==========================================================================+

Please include these source files with error report
Note that list may not be accurate in some cases,
so please double check that the problem can still
be reproduced with the set of files listed.

....Ada\Comp_Error\compilation_error.adb
....ada\comp_error\compilation_error.ads
gnatmake: "....ada\comp_error\compilation_error.adb" compilation error

process exited with status 4
gnat pretty -rf -PC:\Dokumente\ und\ Einstellungen\Tillmann\ Eid\Eigene\
Dateien\Programmierung\Ada\Comp_Error\comp_error.gpr C:\Dokumente\ und\
Einstellungen\Tillmann\ Eid\Eigene\
Dateien\Programmierung\Ada\Comp_Error\Compilation_Error.adb
gnat pretty -rf -PC:\Dokumente\ und\ Einstellungen\Tillmann\ Eid\Eigene\
Dateien\Programmierung\Ada\Comp_Error\comp_error.gpr C:\Dokumente\ und\
Einstellungen\Tillmann\ Eid\Eigene\
Dateien\Programmierung\Ada\Comp_Error\compilation_error.ads

####### PROGRAMM CODE ######

package Compilation_Error is

   type T is task interface;
   procedure Start (S : in String) is abstract;

   task type T1 is new T with
      entry Start (S : in String);
   end T1;

end Compilation_Error;

with Ada.Text_IO;

package body Compilation_Error is

   task body T1 is
   begin
      accept Start (S : in String) do
         Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line (S);
      end Start;
   end T1;

   T_Ptr : access T'Class;

begin

   T_Ptr := new T1;
   T1 (T_Ptr).Start ("Ok, I made it!");

end Compilation_Error;

That's it - and I've no idea why it chrashes.

Thank you all in advance !

Best regards,

Tillmann