[gps-users] How to use GPS as a FORTRAN workbench?

Arjan van Dijk Arjan.van.Dijk at rivm.nl
Sun Mar 2 17:58:04 CET 2008

> > Can you tell me where I can specify .f90 as the default-extension for
> > fortran90-files? Now only .f is recognized.
>
> To change the system-wide default, you can edit the
> <gps-install>/share/gps/plug-ins/languages.xml file (Fortan 90 section).

Thanks for showing this. GPS now indeed recognizes my .f90-files.
Some more questions have popped up:

1) Can you tell me how I can make "fortran90" the default language for new
projects?

2) Not all f90-files in my project directory belong to the project. Some
.f90-files are just test-programs for certain subroutines or functions. Can
I somewhere specify which files should be considered as part of the primary
project and which not?

3) I get the impression that when you start a new project, the most
important thing to do is to go to menu entry "Project --> Edit Project
Properties". I don't seem to understand which settings represent what in
this menu. If you don't mind, I walk by all of the tabs in this menu:

On tab "General", I gave "test" as a new projectname and under "path" I
referred to the directory where all source-code of the project is already
located. The rest on this tab seems specific for ADA. Is this the case?

On tab "Languages" I specified "fortran90" as the only language to use.
Under tools, I told GPS that my compiler is g95. The default debugger is
already gdb, so no need to change.

I avoided tab "VCS". Probably something with version maintenance. Something
for later.

On tab "source dirs" I pointed out the directory of my source-files.

Tab "Source Files" seems an important one, but I have no idea what to do
here.
Two tick-boxes are available: Source-list-file and source_files, but
clicking on either of them does not make a change.

Tab "Objects" show that all files generated by the compiler will by default
be placed in the same directory as my project- and source-directory. Fine.

What are "Main files"? Should I here specify which source-file contains the
main program? I added the source-file that contains the main program.

Tab "library" suggests that all object-code generated for files that are
NOT the main program, can be placed in a library using utility 'ar'. Is
this a required step? Or can I skip it?

After I had changed the default-extension for fortran90 to be .f90, tab
"Naming" tells me that .f90 is the Spec.Extension and the Predefined
Extension. Fine. I guess there is no reason to take any action here.

Tab "Switches" does not show anything. Does it have any function?

4) I closed "Project --> Edit Project Properties" and kept my fingers
crossed. The messages window now tells me:

[2008-03-02 17:24:04] Foo: Warning: there are no Ada sources in this
project
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: Body_Suffix cannot be empty
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: ".." and "." have the same object file "..o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "bmp_io.h" and "bmp_io.c" have the same object
file "bmp_io.o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "bmp_io.o" and "bmp_io.c" have the same object
file "bmp_io.o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "getdeps.f90" and "getdeps.exe" have the same
object file "getdeps.o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "libutil.mod" and "libutil.f90" have the same
object file "libutil.o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "libxmath.mod" and "libxmath.f90" have the same
object file "libxmath.o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "test.gpr" and "test.f90" have the same object
file "test.o"
[2008-03-02 17:44:31] Foo: "wgrib.c" and "wgrib" have the same object file
"wgrib.o"

Why would there be complaints about the simultaneous existence in a
directory of .mod, .f90 and .o-files?
Why does GPS complain about "." and ".."? As far as I know these are the
names for the current directory and the parent directory. I have not
specified them anywhere myself.

5) On the left, I have a window that contains the "project view". It shows
me all the files in the project directory. The list is pretty long. Would
it be better if I did not place all sources and object code in the project
directory?

6) Where would I be able to specify that the project should be compiled via
my special utility? And how would I then invoke it?

Thanks for any reply on my very long and very ignorant questions.

Regards,

Arjan