[gps-users] Problem running GDB from within GPS => '/dev/ptyz0: Permission denied'

Rod Kay rodkay at mullum.com.au
Wed Sep 29 11:15:18 CEST 2004

Howdy folks,

    I've just installed Mandrake 10.0, and now when I run a progam
via GDB from within GPS, I get:

/dev/ptyz0: Permission denied.

Program exited with code 01.
You can't do that without a process to debug.

    I've installed the 'libre.act-europe.fr' GDB, and GCC 3.4.2 with
enabled languages 'ada,c,c++,f77,java,objc', and a home compiled GPS
from the 1.4.0 sources. The machine is a Pentium IV.

    If anyone can suggest a remedy, I'd be grateful as I'm sure no OS
expert. I've not encountered a '/dev/ptyz0' before. I tried changing the
permissions of the '/dev/ptyz0' so 'all' could rw to it and then got
another error 'dev/ttyz0: Permission denied'. I then set permissions of
'dev/ttyz0' to a+rw, and got '/dev/ptyz0: Input/output error'.

    As you can see, I'm clutching at straws, so if anyone has some
advice, I'd love to hear it.

thanks and regards,

Rod.