[gps-users] Re: gps-users digest, Vol 1 #31 - 7 msgs

Jeffrey Creem jeff@thecreems.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:16:21 -0500

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:14:50 +0100
> From: BONNIN Hugues <hugues.bonnin@c-s.fr>
> To: "gps-users@ACT-Europe.FR" <gps-users@ACT-Europe.FR>
> Subject: [gps-users] compatibility with GNAT 3.15p
>
> Hello,
>
> a rumour came in my ears which said "gps 1.4.0 is compatible with GNAT
3.16 but
> not older versions". Is that rumour true or false ?
> Thanks,
>
> Hugues.
>

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:40:37 +0100
> From: Arnaud Charlet <charlet@ACT-Europe.FR>
> To: BONNIN Hugues <hugues.bonnin@c-s.fr>
> Cc: "gps-users@ACT-Europe.FR" <gps-users@ACT-Europe.FR>
> Subject: Re: [gps-users] compatibility with GNAT 3.15p
>
> This rumour is misleading as for all the rumours :-)
>
> Arno

I may be personally responsible for part of that rumour...I can not speak
(nor did I) to the 1.4.0 version
of GPS but for the last public release I would often make the claim that it
was not fully compatible with
the public versions of GNAT and indeed it certainly appeared to me to not
be.

The 3.15p did not support the   gnat pretty command so that would fail and
I seem to recall problems where selecting various pretty printer options in
the project would cause
gnatmake to no longer be able to use the project file so it would stop
working....I dunno..That seemed kinda incompatible to me.

That is not to say that the prior version was not usable with the older GNAT
versions...but you had to be careful
to not make use of the pretty printer tab..

Could have been pilot error of course...but the newer plane (5.01x)
certainly worked better for this pilot in
that regard.