[gps-users] Mouse mark erronious work

Leon Pollak leonp@plris.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:23:32 +0200

On Friday 07 November 2003 09:41, you wrote:
> The current cursor position is the end of the selection if there is one.
OK, I made some research on the item and can say that there is no standard on
the issue.
1. the first and well know editor vi does not change the current cursor
position despite the selection you make. The cursor continues to designate
its position where the last keyboard (not mouse) editing was done. Marked
text is inserted at this position and it remains current.
2. KDE environment (which I use intensively) has another concept, which IMHO
is most intuitive...:-)). The cursor position jumps to that where the end of
marked text. But then it is moved to the end of the inserted text, which
seems to be IMHO most logic - there is the point of attention of the user
which has inserted the text.
3. The gps concept is accepted in OpenOffice suite, except that they designate
the cursor all the time where it resides, while gps has no cursor at all
after a text has been marked. This seems to me the worst case - why one may
want to have the current position at the selected for insertion text? I am
working at the point of insertion, not selection...

> I'd suggest you read the documentation if you want to know
> more about about copy/paste works with most X application, there is
> a specific section on this isuse, including link to a web page giving more
> info.
Please, can you point the place a bit more precise? I passed through the
documentation once again and did not find the reference you mentioned.
I passed through the help which is called from gps, may be there is something
more to be read?

Many thanks for your attentin and sorry for been so talkative about such a
small issue...:-))
--
Leon M.Pollak
leonp at plris dot com