[gps-users] Using a .gtkrc

Bobby D. Bryant bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:01:42 -0600

On 2003.07.29 07:39, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> I set up a ~/.gps/gtkrc to redefine the foreground and background
> colors in GtkTextView widgets, hoping to change the background of the
> program text in the main GPS viewer/editor, which by default is
> written in the color of my general GTK+ theme.
>
> The change does not seem to have any effect.  Actually, whenever I
> open a file for editing or switch between the tabs for different
> source files I get a brief flash of my specified color in the column
> where the line numbers are written, but it is immediately overwritten
> by the white background of the line numbers.  I don't even see that
> brief flash of color for the main background.
>
> Is what I am trying to do even possible?  Am I changing the colors
> for the wrong widget type?  Is GPS perhaps applying my general GTK+
> theme _after_ applying whatever is in ~/.gps/gtkrc, and it is just
> repainted so fast that I don't see it?
>
> FYI, I am running the precompiled "Academic Version" that was just
> announced, on a Linux system.

Another observation, very possibly related.  If I set up to use Emacs
or Emacsclient as an external editor I get all the font-lock foreground
and background colors, bolding, etc.  from my ~/.emacs, but if I use
Gnuclient I get the bolding and the colors only for the foregrounds,
but the color from my general GTK+ for the background.  It appears that
GPS is sending something over the pipe telling the Gnuclient variant of
Emacs to colorize the background, though not the foregrounds.

Thanks,
--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas