[gps-devel] Can't build GPS under Windows 2K

stephane stephane at rochebrune.org
Mon Apr 18 19:13:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of AIDE (Ada Instant Development Environment), see
URL below. Planning for a completly new release, I wish to add some new
features like cross platform target (Windows -> AVR-Atmel) and so, I had
to rebuild GPS on windows 2K with some patches around cross-platforms
settings...

AIDE use to compile almost every software in Ada, including complex
GtkAda software like GVD (the GPS precursor). I've never seen a software
I can't built with it except one : GPS. This is very frustrating as GPS
is a beautiful piece of software and a very promising one. So, this is
now a good opportunity to improve AIDE build capability.

Last year Arno Charlet told me to use Cygwin. I've tried theses days
with a fresh full Cygwin install, without success at all. I've also
tried with MinGW, (my preferred GCC package for Windows) :

MinGW-3.2.0-rc-3 (gcc 3.4.2)
MSYS-1.0.10 (make 3.79.1)
msysDTK-1.0.1

But I got some strange messages at the very beginning (the first gcc call) :

$ make
make -s -C glide -f Makefile.gps default
gcc -c -g -O2 -DSYSTEM_INCLUDE="system/windows.h" -DPACKAGE_NAME=""
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME="" -DPACKAGE_VERSION="" -DPACKAGE_STRING=""
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT="" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1
-DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1
-DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_SETPGID=1 -DHAVE_SETSID=1
/d/_gps/gvd/common/file-utils.c -o /d/_gps/gvd/common/obj/file-utils.o
d:/_gps/gvd/common/file-utils.c:58: fatal error: opening dependency file
/d/_gps/gvd/common/obj/file-utils.pp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [file-utils.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [compile_/d/_gps/glide/../gvd/gvd_common] Error 2
make: *** [default] Error 2

/d/_gps/gvd/common/obj/file-utils.pp: No such file or directory
.pp ???

I wonder what is file-utils.pp ? Preprocessing header ? Never seen that...

But the most important :

May I know exactly what is the working environment used to create the
Windows binairies one can downloaded on the libre.act-europe web site ?

Thanks,

--
Stephane Riviere
Oleron Island - France