[gps-devel] Install issue with XP Home

SJousseaume@aol.com SJousseaume@aol.com
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:03:25 EDT

--part1_7b.15a7c8fa.2c4a392d_boundary

ENVIRONMENT:
I run:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

The user Owner that I use has administrator rights.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
After unzipping the GPS in C:/MyProgramFiles/gps and setting adding the bin
in my PATH, I get:
"Cannot create config directory %USERPROFILE%\.gps
Exiting ..."

"echo %USERPROFILE%"  returns:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owners" with cmd.exe

I tried creating myself a ".gps" directory at this location with explorer.
Explorer complains
because of the '.' . I managed to do it with cmd.exe.
This did not solve my problem, I still get the same message from gps.

I restarted my computer just in case, I still have the problem.

HINT ?
Assuming I don't have an XP setup problem (my computer just got out of the
box),
could it be that the environment variable do not get properly expanded in XP
and that %USERPROFILE% is just stuck as is in a system call?

I can't download the source right now so do not take the following
too seriously because I am only speculating here:
if this was the case, you might need to look at
GetEnvironmentVariable(Win32.LPCSTR;Win32.LPSTR;Win32.DWORD)
from win32
(I am sure you know better about this than I do! Just trying to help!).

Does anyone has ever had this problem?

Thanks,
Regards,

       Sylvain

--part1_7b.15a7c8fa.2c4a392d_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"1">----------------------------------------------<BR>
ENVIRONMENT:<BR>
----------------------------------------------<BR>
I run:<BR>
Microsoft Windows XP<BR>
Home Edition<BR>
Version 2002<BR>
Service Pack 1<BR>
<BR>
The user Owner that I use has administrator rights.<BR>
<BR>
----------------------------------------------<BR>
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION<BR>
----------------------------------------------<BR>
After unzipping the GPS in C:/MyProgramFiles/gps and setting adding the bin=20=
in my PATH, I get:<BR>
"Cannot create config directory %USERPROFILE%\.gps<BR>
Exiting ..."<BR>
<BR>
"echo %USERPROFILE%"&nbsp; returns:<BR>
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owners" with cmd.exe<BR>
<BR>
I tried creating myself a ".gps" directory at this location with explorer. E=
xplorer complains<BR>
because of the '.' . I managed to do it with cmd.exe.<BR>
This did not solve my problem, I still get the same message from gps.<BR>
<BR>
I restarted my computer just in case, I still have the problem.<BR>
<BR>
----------------------------------------------<BR>
HINT ?<BR>
----------------------------------------------<BR>
Assuming I don't have an XP setup problem (my computer just got out of the b=
ox),<BR>
could it be that the environment variable do not get properly expanded in XP=
<BR>
and that %USERPROFILE% is just stuck as is in a system call?<BR>
<BR>
I can't download the source right now so do not take the following<BR>
too seriously because I am only speculating here:<BR>
if this was the case, you might need to look at GetEnvironmentVariable(Win32=
.LPCSTR;Win32.LPSTR;Win32.DWORD)<BR>
from win32<BR>
(I am sure you know better about this than I do! Just trying to help!).<BR>
<BR>
Does anyone has ever had this problem?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
Regards,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sylvain</FONT></HTML>

--part1_7b.15a7c8fa.2c4a392d_boundary--