[gps-devel] What is the license for gps-1.2.2-academic?

George Shapovalov george@gentoo.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:13:43 -0700

--Boundary-02=_aduF/9Oiqhlj0KQ

Dear gps developers.

I am not sure this list is the best place for this question, if it is not I=
=20
apologize. Please feel free to forward this message where you deem=20
appropriate.

I am a senior developer of Gentoo Linux in charge of dev-lang and dev-ada=20
categories. (David Holm will take over the maintainership of dev-ada catego=
ry=20
in near future. I added him to CC as I am not sure he is subscribed to the=
=20
list).

=46irst of all I would like to say a big thank you for making a public rele=
ase=20
of a fine piece of software!=20
Unfortunately looking through the released packages I could not find any=20
top-level or otherwise dedicated file that would contain terms under which=
=20
you release the software or a mention of license in README or other=20
documentation. The web page listed in recent announcement only has a few=20
hints, mentioning that gps is a Free Software. Therefore I would like to as=
k=20
for a formal permission to include gps-1.2.2-academic into the Gentoo Linux=
=20
distribution.

We already have a working ebuild (a package format for Gentoo) for a binary=
=20
distribution and, as you might have noticed, are working on a source-based=
=20
one. I am attaching the gps-bin-1.2.2.ebuild for your review. Please note,=
=20
that I put GPL-2 in the LICENSE field for now, since I was able to see it=20
mentioned in many source files. I will be happy to change this to the=20
appropriate license reference at your advise.

A few words about the distribution.
Gentoo Linux is a source-based meta-distribution which aims at providing=20
maximum possible configurability while maintaining a reasonable balance=20
between stability and staying up-to-date. Our primary targeted categories o=
f=20
users are developers, experienced sysadmins and people who want to customiz=
e=20
their systems. However we find Gentoo Linux equivalently being used in=20
production environment and by a Linux newcomers. You can find more details=
=20
about the distribution here:
http://www.gentoo.org

While majority of packages provided by Gentoo are source-based, we have an=
=20
ability to provide pre-compiled binary packages as well as to deal with bot=
h=20
free and commercial software. (The only "service" provided by Gentoo is an=
=20
access to ebuild database and documentation. Ebuilds are just simple bash=20
scripts that automate steps necessary in order to install certain package.=
=20
The sources (or binaries) are fetched off the developer's site or (unless a=
=20
restriction is set) mirrors, forcing user to fulfill all the necessary=20
registration requirements should this be necessary).

Thank you in advance for the clarification of the GNAT Programming System=20
licensing!

Sincerely,

George Shapovalov