[gps-devel] GPS compilation with gnat 3.15p

George Shapovalov george@gentoo.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:29:59 -0700

Hi Alexis.

Are you using gnat provided via portage? So far I was unable to trigger any
GNAT BUG DETECTED messages.

On the other hand I did not succeed in creating a from-source gps ebuild so
far - either I could not link it against separately installed gtkada (a
preferable option) or I couldn't build a provided gtkada locally (the idea
was to try to statically link gps against it). This in fact was a reason why
I quickly whimped up a gps-bin ebuild. I hope you will have a better luck!

One note of interest:
The INSTALL insists on gtk+ be compiled by the same backend version of gcc
(2.8.1 in this case), which is a bad thing as it deteriorates system
integrity. The way to go might be to fetch all libraries linking against
normal installations of which appears to be problemmatic (quite likely to be
only gtk+), build them locally (under ${WORKDIR}) and either statically link
against them or install .so's somewhere under /usr/share/gps and provide
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper, as is done for gps-bin (by gps developers).
The lib/ subdir of gps instalation does indeed contain parts of gtk+,
therefore I am afraid performing above "dance" might be necessary (although
linking it against all existing libraries would be the best, if possible).
I hope gps developers can comment on this point.

George