[gps-devel] Re: [gps-users] Problem starting ACT's binary of GPS 1.4.0 on Debian GNU/Linux

Chris Douty Chris_Douty@ampex.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:16:04 -0800

Howdy,

I built everything from source using my version of GNAT 5.01 formerly
available from ACT's libre CVS server on RedHat Linux 9.  (I'm quite
happy with the compiler BTW.  I wish ACT hadn't closed CVS access,
although I understand why.  FSF gcc isn't quite ready yet.)  Gps seems
to work OK.  I certainly don't get the same link error you do.  This is
probably a gps-devel question so I have redirected to that list.

My libgtkada.a looks like this:
 > nm libgtkada.a | grep gdk_notify_type
00000099 D gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeN
000002a0 R gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeS

 > strings libgtkada-2.2.so.1 |grep gdk_notify_type
gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeS
gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeN

I don't know how the names are mangled in GNAT, but I'd say that what
you used on GtkAda 2.2.1 is different than what ACT themselves got.
That would make me a little nervous.  I honestly don't known how
compatible code, especially shared libraries, compiled with one version
of a compiler is supposed to be with some other binary.  Given Ada's
semantic rules I'd almost think that everything should be built with
the same compiler and "compatible" switches.  That's kinda hard for
random open-source projects and binary packages.  :-|

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 10:59 AM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> I am having a problem starting GPS from the binary distributed at
> ACT's libre web site.  I've compiled and installed GtkAda 2.2.1.  I've
> compiled and linked GPS against it, and it runs OK.  But the GPS
> compiled by ACT fails to start.  Here is what I get:

[snip]

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty@ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Engineer, Software & Systems  - AMPEX Data Systems Corp.