[GAP] The GNAT-on-Mindstorms project

Matteo Bordin bordin at adacore.com
Thu Jan 22 15:53:09 CET 2009

Dear GAP members,

Last summer an intern at AdaCore offices in Paris, Piotr Piwko, worked
on a port of GNAT to the Lego Mindstorms NXT platform. The goal of the
GNAT-on-Mindstorms project is to provide an education-oriented
development platform for high-integrity embedded systems using Ada.

The developed technology relies on an implementation of the OSEK
operating system: OSEK is an international standard for operating
systems in the automotive domain. We are currently also considering an
Ada-only version based on the Ravenscar Profile.

You can find a presentation which summarizes the project, its technical
goals and the expected benefits of use in an educational context at:

https://www2.adacore.com/gnattracker2/contributions#Labs_Material

(access to your GNAT Tracker account and go to the
"Contribution/Laboratory Material" section).

We are currently finalizing the technology and documentation. A video
showing a working demo will be available soon.

We are considering adding the GNAT-on-Mindstorms technology to the GAP
program. Future enhancement of the technology will largely depend on
community feedback, so please let us know how you would be interested in
using Ada and Lego Mindstorms in your courses.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Matteo Bordin