[GAP] Ada 2005 API

John McCormick mccormick at cs.uni.edu
Thu Feb 21 20:32:00 CET 2008

My students equate the material in Ada's annexes with APIs.  The ARM
is poor at describing the operations.   For example, if you look at
section A.4.5 of the ARM to learn about the operations available for
unbounded-length strings, you find a package specification with NO
documentation within it.  (My students point to this lack of
documentation as a model for not documenting their own package
specifications.)  Now there is a very brief section after the
unbounded-length string package specification, but you have to go to
A.4.3 to find the definitions of equivalent fixed-length string
operations in order to understand the unbounded-length
operations.  My students compare this organization to the Java API
documentation and rightfully claim that it is far easier to figure
out Java strings than Ada's.  So I would love to see a friendlier
description of the annexes than that is in the ARM.  One that is
closer to the online Java API.

John