[GAP] Turning a rant into a contribution to the Ada-Europe 2008 conference

Tullio Vardanega tullio.vardanega at math.unipd.it
Wed Nov 28 19:55:33 CET 2007

All GAPpers,

but in particular those who involved themselves in the
discussion thread spawned by Richard Riehle's rant ;-)

You may know that among the topics of interest to the
Ada-Europe 2008 conference (16-20 June) in Venice, Italy,
of which I am the organizer, there is one titled "Ada and Education".

Thought the deadline for the submission of regular papers
(i.e. those that we will select to feed the LNCS proceedings
of the conference) is long past, I would be truly delighted if
someone from this group would like to jot down a paper to
present at the conference which touched on such issues as:
- what languages should be used in the software engineering
curriculum in comparison to what are actually taught: where
Ada stands in that business and how Ada could instead serve
that curriculum
- what it takes (or should take) for a graduate to learn Ada
in comparison to the (false) perception that if Ada is not taught
in the curriculum then "there are no Ada programmers around".

If anybody was interested (which I hope) whether individually
or as a joint venture in undertaking that project, they should
produce a 1-page abstract and send it to my by Friday 11 January 2008.
The program committee of the conference will determine whether
the proposed paper can fit the program (which I will defend if
I like the abstract) and then a final version for inclusion in the
Ada User Journal will be required by the time of the conference
along with the presentation to deliver there.

Anyone out there?

-- Tullio Vardanega