[GAP] Binding Problem with GNAT

Cyrille Comar comar at adacore.com
Thu Nov 8 10:34:04 CET 2007

Riehle, Richard (CIV) wrote:

Richard,

I understand your frustration but I must admit being a bit surprized by
some of your claims since they contradict very much our own experience.
You seem to be describing the events of the end of the 90's. Not what is
happening at the end of the 2000's. We see a clear new interest in Ada
coming from a community that did not necessarily follow all the past
history of the language and don't even know Ada 83. The interest comes
from the fact that Ada provides a solution to many problems that are
still not solved adequately by other languages/environments.
Furthermore, the Ada compilation technology is now much more mature and
proven-in-use than potential alternative solutions.

> So far, no one has written an article for widespread publication
> announcing the advent of Ada 2005.   I have not even seen such an
> article in Crosstalk.

You seem to have missed the August 2006 edition that is dedicated
exclusively to Ada 2005!

  There is never any mention of Ada in any
> of the DoD publications.  Not every Federal Computer Week has had
> an announcement, as far as I know.

here again that does not correspond to my experience. We must be reading
different publications... ;-)

> Sorry for the rant.

It is good to rant sometimes... but I felt compelled to answer since
your ranting is clearly not representative of the current situation.

Ada is both a very modern and experienced language. It is true that it
is mostly popular in the software niche where quality and reliability
are real requirements. A lot of the software industry privileges short
time-to-market at the expense of quality & reliability and this is not
the preferred area for Ada.

  It is also true that the programming language per se is not a major
focus of the software engineering community anymore. It is only an issue
for a small part of the software development cycle...