[GAP] Use of Ada 2005

Riehle, Richard (CIV) rdriehle at nps.edu
Mon Mar 27 19:14:25 CEST 2006

I will be teaching my Programming Paradigms class this Quarter
and will include some introduction to features of Ada 2005.
This is the only remaining class at NPS where we teach Ada.

There are quite a few professors, some on the curriculum committee
who continue to dislike Ada.   They would like me to eliminate
any reference to it, I think.   The prevailing attitude at this
military-oriented school is that Ada is dead.   There is no reason
to continue to teach it.

Of course this is wrong, but the perception is difficult to overcome.
At present, there are just a couple of us who continue to understand
the importance of Ada in software engineering.

I am hoping to update my little booklet, Ada Distilled, with 2005
features
sometime in the next few months.  My other research and teaching duties
are preventing me from taking immediate action on this.  However, the
book
is in the public domain in the rough equivalent of "free" software.  If
someone else would like to contribute to its update, I would be happy
for
the help.

Thanks,

Richard Riehle