[GAP] E701-009 - New contribution ("Ada Distilled" book)

Riehle, Richard USA rdriehle at nps.edu
Thu Nov 17 18:16:35 CET 2005

Franco, et al,

I am planning to begin an update Ada Distilled for Ada 2005 sometime
in the Spring of 2006 -- if I am finished with my current research
project.   At present, I am overwhelmed with a research contribution
(not directly related to Ada but might involve some SPARK) that is
consuming my non-teaching time.

I will welcome suggestions, code fragments, and other advice from
the community.  In fact, my current view is that Ada Distilled is
the equivalent of "open source."  However, there are some guidelines.

My view of the book is that it is focused on being code-intensive
rather than prose-intensive.   I would like to have each line of
code commented with a reference to the corresponding ALRM rule.

I want to keep it small.  My original limit was 100 pages.  It is
now a little bit longer than that, but still under 120.  I realize
it might grow a bit with additions from 2005, but people seem to
like that fact that it is small enough to fit into a thin three-ring
binder.  Students appreciate being able to print it out and carry
it around conveniently.

I want to continue to use color for annotations.  Note that I have
annotated
Ada.Text_IO so students can understand each line.

Ultimately, I would like to see it evolve into an HTML or XML document
with
hot spots where the annotations are now located.  We would leave the
annotations in place, but clicking on an annotation would take the
reader
to a more comprehensive description.  If anyone wants to take on the
task of converting it to HTML, I will be happy to provide some help.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

Richard Riehle