[GAP] RE: JEWL

Riehle, Richard USA rdriehle at nps.edu
Tue May 3 19:22:20 CEST 2005

This discussion, if I understand it correctly, is about how
those of us who are advocates for Ada can successfully keep
it alive and relevant in our respective teaching programs.

In my community, Ada is fighting for more than credibility. It
is a fight for survival.   I must do everything I can to sell
it to my students.  They are already enamoured of Java.  The
competition is real.

I did not mean to imply that fun was the overriding concern
in our educational efforts.  Nor do I believe that anyone in
this discussion is advocating boredom.   Further, some students
find delight in studying things that others find boring.

Unlike the students in many universities, my students are not
likely to be programmers any time soon.  At some point in their
careers, they might be program officers, program managers, or
function in some other role that is decision-oriented.  One of
my objectives is to ensure that their memory of Ada is positive.

When these decision-makers are confronted with a choice between
Java, C++, and Ada, I don't want them thinking that Ada is a
bad choice because their experience with it was so unpleasant.
That is exactly what I am dealing with now when I advocate for
Ada with the senior officers who have struggled to learn Ada
the old-fashioned way.

I don't trivialize my courses the way they do with some Java
classes.  The students are required to do some programs that
challenge them.  They learn Ada, and they learn to enjoy Ada.
It is my hope that this will be helpful in keeping Ada alive
as a choice for future projects.   Here at NPS, it is
fundamentally dead on arrival when any student chooses
it for thesis work.   The professors are generally opposed to
its use.

Recently, some professors have been more accepting of Ada when
students (those who enjoyed learning Ada) propose it for
their thesis.  At least one student is seriously looking at
SPARK for a thesis project.   If we had a version of Ada that
was targted to Windows CE or the Palm OS, I could probably
get some students to do thesis work for the professor who
runs our wireless program.

One of the really bad things that happened at NPS was the
Java bytecode initiative.   This began well and then fizzled.
Unfortunately, it fizzled in such a way that those professors
I had persuaded to consider it were left with a very bad taste
for Ada.   We need to be careful, in the future, about hyping
vaporware.   Those professors who were enthusiastic about Ada
for Java bytecode are now unwilling to consider Ada for anything
in their own research.

Richard Riehle