[GAP] RE: JEWL

Robert Dewar dewar at adacore.com
Mon May 2 01:52:51 CEST 2005

Riehle, Richard USA wrote:
> In an earlier message, as part of a discussion regarding
> approaches to teaching Ada, I mentioned that I find that
> my students enjoy writing Windows programs using JEWL.
>
> Was that comment so outrageous that no one felt it was
> worth comment?   Does no one else consider the concept
> of "fun" important when teaching and learning a programming
> language?

It's important, but I think you have to avoid the phenomenon
of people fiddling with graphics libraries etc instead of
learning how to program. I notice that Java courses tend to
be particularly prone to this disease.

There are many ways students can have fun, but let's not
forget that the primary purpose of courses is learning!