[GAP] Making different versions of GAP available

John Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 12:33:46 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 12:22 +0100, Arnaud Charlet wrote:
> What I would suggest to do instead if:
>
> - continue to install under /opt/gap-<date>
> - make a link:
>   ln -s /opt/gps-<date> /opt/gap
> - put /opt/gap/bin in the PATH in e.g. /etc/profile
>
> This way, /opt/gap always points to the latest GAP install, and
> people can still refer to /opt/gap-<date> manually.
>
> This scheme works fine today.
>
> Arno

Thanks, yes, but we have many hundred locally-installed packages
under /opt - this scheme would mean adding each of their ./bins to the
standard path (and each of their ./mans to the standard manual path,
etc). /usr/local/bin is already in our standard path, so it makes sense
to link all the local executables there, as this is easier and more
effcient than extending the path each time.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
UK