[SPAM] - Re: [GAP] advice on Ada in general programming languages course - Email found in subject

Ted Baker baker at cs.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 21 20:29:22 CEST 2005

Ed,

In general, to what extent and under what terms are you willing
that I borrow/steal/reuse bits of stuff from your class web pages?

I have looked over the assignments and examples, and expect I
might like to steal some bits from them.

I have not looked at the Powerpoint slides yet (I use HTML for all
my notes and do not have anything capable of displaying .ppt files
on my workstation.), but I guess I might like to include them in
the sources from which I steal bits as I write up my own notes in
HTML.

Regarding the assignments, I have another question.  It seems you
only gave a general idea of what you wanted for each assignment,
leaving a lot to the imaginatination.  Is that all the detail you
provided, or were there other documents with more detail?

Around here we tend to give much more detailed specifications,
or else the students get confused and insecure about what we
expect of them, and we have difficulty doing the testing and grading.
I guess maybe your course is small?
Our course here typically has about 75 students in it (three sections
of 25) and we use a TA to do the grading, so the testing has to
be pretty much automated and the spec's on the assignment need
to be tight.  I often end up providing a test driver framework
to the students so that they can test their work in a context
similar to the one in which we will test it.

--Ted