[AWS] Google Chrome + AWS WebSockets + refresh = sockets stuck in CLOSE_WAIT forever

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Wed Jul 25 17:14:48 CEST 2012

Thomas,

> Of special interest is that everytime you refresh the page when using
> Firefox the demo emits one of these messages:

> It's apparent that Firefox plays nice with the AWS WebSocket
> implementation, and just as clear that Chrome is not playing nice. Who's
> to blame is unknown to me, but as it stands using AWS WebSockets with
> Google Chrome appears to be a rather dangerous project, as you will
> flood your system with "dead" sockets.

Frankly my experience with WebSocket is still young but to me Firefox is
the one which is correct. It is mandatory for the client to send a
close-connection message to the server. If this is not done the server
cannot tell if the client is still there. When reloading a page a close
connection must be sent as the previous page is not existing anymore...

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|