[AWS] Centralized session storage

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:52:38 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Maciej Sobczak <
maciej.sobczak at inspirel.com> wrote:

> And why do you insist on having this as part of AWS?

I don't as such "insist" on it, but I would very much like to have it. The
ability to tell AWS where to save session ID's and session data is not a
bad thing, I think.

> What about this:
>
> http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/**book/7-3.html<http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/book/7-3.html>
>
> The distributed cache is a centralized service that allows distributed
> nodes to store and retrieve arbitrary information in a way that is
> self-cleaning with a given timeout.
>
> If you want to have a set of AWS servers that have a common view on some
> session data (that is, string-keyed values), then the distributed cache
> module might be a good out-of-the-box solution.
> Especially that it can self-clean after a given timeout.
>
> It might be easier to adapt this to fit your particular needs (if some
> adaptation is needed) than to patch AWS.

Yes, I can see your point, but I would still rely on AWS.Session, and hence
each AWS instance would have to maintain a local database of n sessions. I
would much prefer if the actual storage of both the session ID and the
associated data could be centralized, so each AWS instance knows as little
as possible about the actual session.

The solution you're suggesting is very good, but unless I build my own
session package, I'd still need AWS to do the actual setting/getting of the
session ID, and then we're back to AWS saving all those ID's locally.

> Let me know if you need any more information about it.
>
> BTW - there are more centralized services in YAMI4:
>
> http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/**book/7.html<http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/book/7.html>
>
> If you want to build a system with a set of AWS servers to handle
> communication with clients, then some of these YAMI4 components (message
> broker? cache?) can be useful to bind everything together.

 You have most certainly given me something to think about Maciej. Maybe a
small patch to AWS.Session where you can simply disable the local storage
and just use the set/get session ID functionality of AWS is what I really
need? With that I could use something like YAMI4 to manage the actual
session data.

I'll give it some more thought. Thanks.

:o)
Thomas Løcke