[AWS] 200/304 problem cleared up - now re-opening an old 200/304 logging issue

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 09:59:00 CET 2011

My apparently broken Firefox caused me to believe that something was
wrong with the way AWS handled 304's. By using the excellent Google
Chrome chrome://net-internals/ tool, I've verified that AWS does
exactly what it is supposed to do.

So all is well!

Almost.

It turns out that AWS is having some problems logging 304's as such.
Instead of logging

    "GET /images/test.png HTTP/1.1" 304 -

when test.png hasn't been modified since last visit, AWS logs

    "GET /images/test.png HTTP/1.1" 200 0

which is obviously not the same thing. I mean, it does get the point
across that no data was transmitted, but it's still not logging what
has actually happened. AWS is sending a 304 header, but it is logging
it as a 200.

Is this by design, or?

:o)
Thomas Løcke