[AWS] Further info on the weird "AWS is returning too much data" issue

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Sun Jan 23 18:59:57 CET 2011

Thomas,

> With this knowledge, I felt it was safe to conclude that ApacheBench
> was not to blame. If both node.js and Apache are working as intended,
> then clearly something is amiss with AWS?

Bad news :(

> So I enabled logging on my AWS server, and started benchmarking it
> again. First run was 500_000 hits with a concurrency of 1.
>
> The numbers returned by ApacheBench were correct, and grepping for
> "200 46" in the log file also returned exactly 500_000 lines. I
> repeated this three times, for a total of 1_500_000 hits. No errors
> found. Everything matched.

You mean ApacheBench, node.js and AWS have all the same data, right?

> So it seems that when concurrent hits go up, AWS start to mess up somewhere.

When you talk about concurrency you have 2 or 5 servers on AWS side, but
how many clients are sending requests?

> Is there anything I can do to help track down this issue?

I'm sure I know what is happening here :) I bet that if you have 1 more
server on AWS server side than clients sending data all will be ok. Can
you confirm?

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|