[AWS] AWS moved to Git

Dennison, Ted Ted.Dennison at flightsafety.com
Wed Feb 23 15:22:55 CET 2011

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance of git but is it possible to continue to have a
> checkout of templates_parser outside of any checkout of AWS?  How?  I want
> to be able to preserve the continuity of history in my monotone mirror of
> Templates_Parser[1].

Well, two things here...

First off, you don't really "check out" things in Git. You basically have your own complete copy of the repository. If you make edits, you will need to merge them. If someone else makes new updates, you will need to "pull" those down to your copy. But nothing is ever reserved exclusively for a single person, so there's really no concept of a "checkout".

Related to that, if you just want one small thing from a repository, tough. You get the whole thing. You don't have to use it all, of course, but you get it. I've heard talk adding some kind of support for subprojects (https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSubmoduleTutorial perhaps?), but last I looked at it the only way to separate things is to either put them into separate Git repositories, or to put them in different branches of the repository (ick).