[AWS] Getting AWS to work without cygwin or MinGW on Windows XP

Sam Colwell scolwell at vtc.vsc.edu
Wed Mar 10 20:10:13 CET 2010

Alice,

As far as I know, Cygwin is only needed when compiling and installing
the AWS libraries.  It is not needed at all after AWS has been compiled
and installed.  Cygwin is also not required to run programs written
using AWS.

I ran into a similar issue in a programming course I teach at Vermont
Technical College.  Cygwin was not installed on the lab computers (and I
did not have permissions to install it), but I wanted my students to be
able to write programs using AWS.  I chose the following solution:

Install Cygwin on my development machine.
Unzip AWS source to C:\AWS_SRC
Configure AWS for a STATIC library.  * See notes below
Configure AWS to install at C:\AWS (not in the GNAT folders as shown in
the configuration instructions)
Compile using Cygwin
Install to C:\AWS

I then made a zip file of the C:\AWS folder.  For my students to use
this, they just unzip the folder to any location they want and set the
ADA_PROJECT_PATH environment variable.  For example: if unzipped to
C:\AWS on a new machine (that does not have cygwin), after setting
ADA_PROJECT_PATH to C:\AWS\LIB\GNAT, I can compile projects using AWS by
simply placing the line:

with "aws";

at the top of the project file.  Because I made a static library for the
students, AWS is linked into their executable.  This means the students
only need to copy their executable files to a new machine to run their
software there.  The downside to static linking, of course, is that the
executables are larger.

-Sam Colwell