[AWS] Trouble compiling AWS on WinXP

Colwell, Samuel C @ VTC SColwell at vtc.vsc.edu
Tue Jan 19 17:45:12 CET 2010

Pascal,

I was able to get things to compile using Cygwin 1.5.x that I had on an older machine.

I also discovered the issue with Cygwin 1.7.1 that breaks gnatmake, so I figured I'd post it to the list to help anyone else who runs into this issue.

I got some help from the AdaCore folks.  The issue is that the Cygwin environment variable TMPDIR was not set at all.  Once I set TMPDIR to a valid cygwin path, everything compiles fine!

The easiest solution is:

export TMPDIR=/tmp

This maps it to the temp directory in the cygwin root.  I also had success with:

export TMPDIR=/cygdrive/c/temp

This, of course, assumes that C:\TEMP exists.  Both of these commands, when run from the shell, fixed the problem.

I figured I'd add this to my ~/.bashrc file so it would happen every time I opened a cygwin shell, when I found the following inside that file:

# #####################

# TMP and TEMP are defined in the Windows environment.  Leaving
# them set to the default Windows temporary directory can have
# unexpected consequences.
unset TMP
unset TEMP

# Alternatively, set them to the Cygwin temporary directory
# or to any other tmp directory of your choice
# export TMP=/tmp
# export TEMP=/tmp

# Or use TMPDIR instead
# export TMPDIR=/tmp

I uncommented the last line (the "export TMPDIR=/tmp" line), restarted Cygwin, and everything works now.

-Sam Colwell