[AWS] Some AWS Applications

Graham Stark graham.stark at virtual-worlds.biz
Mon Feb 15 21:29:11 CET 2010

Hi,
   I thought you all might be interested in some applications my
colleagues and I have built using AWS.

These are economic simulations using large sample datasets. Because the
datasets are confidential, I can't let people play with the models
themselves, but I've made a number of screenshots, and the papers we
produced using the models are all available, as of course is the
source-code.

Office of the Scottish Charities Regulator (OSCR) Affordability
Modeller:
http://virtual-worlds-research.com/demonstrations/oscr/
This produces estimates of how many of Scotland's families could afford
to pay some charge (for example for education or health care) and still
retain enough income for an acceptable standard of living.

A microsimulation model of the Scottish Legal Aid system:
http://virtual-worlds-research.com/demonstrations/slas/
This has been used to model several significant reforms to Civil Legal
Aid. Produced for the Scottish Legal Aid Board (SLAB).

NILAM - a legal aid simulation for Northern Ireland
http://virtual-worlds-research.com/demonstrations/nilam/
Produced for the Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission.

All the code for the models is available, here:

http://virtual-worlds-research.com/downloads/

I freely admit it's not perfect code, but it's not bad by simulation
model standards, especially in the Social Sciences:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ada/browse_thread/thread/20280f498071efd3/ec834b96d8adaab7?hl=en&

and we're definitely getting better.

regards, and thanks for producing AWS.

Graham

--
Graham Stark
Virtual Worlds Research Limited | Company no: 7044090