[AWS] AWS - maintain state between server and client

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:52:13 CEST 2010

Hey,

After having done literally millions of lines of PHP/XSLT code for
various internal web-applications, I feel it is time to move on to
something better/more stable. I'm sick and tired of apps breaking on
every PHP update.  :o)

So I thought "why not take a look at the Ada/AWS combo for building
web-apps?". And so I did. Progress is slow, as there's much to digest,
but I am moving forward. Slow and steady. I'm really enjoying the
whole "website as application" concept.

But today I hit my first wall: Maintaining state. It appears there are
no cookie support in AWS, which makes it very hard to solve some
specific problems regarding user interaction. I have an app with lots
of small GUI elements, which users can toggle on/off,
minimize/maximize and drag around in the viewport. The settings for
these widgets are currently set in cookies, because there's no login.
Users just access the app, mess around and leave again. When they come
back later, all the GUI elements is set as they were left during their
previous visit.

I also have a few apps with login, where the "Stay Logged In" feature
is pretty hard to implement without cookies. I can only imagine the
cry of pain and anguish I'll get from my users, if I remove such
"vital" functionality. Especially because the login is only necessary
because of some logging features, not because there's any sensitive
data being managed in the app.

So my question is: Are there cookie support in AWS, or will it be added later?

Or do you have another way of accomplishing what cookies do?

Thank you for an excellent piece of software, which hopefully, given
time, will completely replace my old/crufty PHP/XSLT setup.

:o)
Thomas Løcke