[AWS] one more problem: compiling demos from GPS

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Fri Jul 21 17:23:21 CEST 2006

Dominique,

> I’ve spend 3 days on compiling AWSL
>
> To use the demos.gpr, I had to change <install-aws_src>/shared.gpr to
> set the debug and windows flag.

This is wrong. As explain in the doc. You either need to :

   $ make DEBUG=1 ... setup build

or edit makefile.conf and:

   $ make setup build

The setup step is needed each time you change the configuration.

This is a bit like calling ./configure on GNU/Linux.

Please make sure you read and understand the documentation. I'm building
AWS on Windows which is the main dev platform, so for sure it works on
Windows :)

Also you said:

> I am trying to use the demos.gpr file to compile and (I hope) run
> the demos

What do you mean by "use the demos.gpr" ? The demos are built as part of
the main build (i.e. when doing "make build").

If you want to use AWS for your own project you need to install AWS,
something like :

   $ make INSTALL=/cygdrive/C/tools/gnat/2006 install

(not sure c:/tools/gnat/2006 will work here, remember the make/cp/mv
tools are Cygwin based so the install dir must be understood by Cygwin
toolset).

If c:/tools/gnat/2006 is the GNAT root install dir. Also it is wrong in
my view to build AWS into the GNAT root directory. Build it into your
home dir and install it there. This is cleaner.

After this steps, to use AWS you just need 'with "aws";' into your
project file:

   with "aws";
   project Xyz is
   end Xyz;