[AWS] Running a program using AWS as a background task

andy . i_eat_pies@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:05:59 +0000

I'm using AWS version 1.1 on Red Hat 9 and I want to make the program i've
made using AWS to run in the backgournd and continue to answer requests when
i log off.

I've tried using 'nohup program_name &' but it does not work as planned.  My
program keeps running when I log off, but it refuses to answer requests.  I
was wondering if anyone else has had to solve the same problem, and if so
how they did.

A strange probably related problem is that once I log out of the machine and
log back in, the program is using 65-90% of the processor power (less than a
year old 2.53 P4). In normal operation is uses about 1- 5%.

It's been suggested to use 'screen' but I want to avoid using any new
software if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Andy.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger