AWS and CGI; Ptunnel source (was Re: [AWS] Deploying an AWS program

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Fri Jun 25 18:17:28 CEST 2004

I made available all of the source code of my Ptunnel diagnostic
proxy (HTTP header stripping code, bindings to the GNAT.Sockets
bindings):

  http://developer.berlios.de/projects/ptunnel

The proxy has 2 modes: it runs as a diagnostic TCP proxy, and secondly
as a proxy to compress input TCP into 2 threads wrapped in HTTP's GET
and POST headers).

At 2004-06-23 08:15 -0500 Wednesday, Ted Dennison wrote:
>Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
>>Kevin Andrew Lipscomb wrote:
>>>Because I envision uploading my AWS applications to
>>>professionally-run host, the way I do with my PHP scripts,
>>>or say, a CGI program or a Java servlet, I am also
>>>thinking it should be possible to upload an AWS
>>>application to a professionally-run host.
>>>
>>Although it technically isn't necessary, I think you will
>>have to rent a dedicated host.  I don't think there are any
>>

>I think it may be technically necessary. You can't run multiple web
>servers (on port 80) on the same machine at the same time, can you? So
>if you want to use the standard HTTP port, the server can't already have
>a different websever running on 80.
>
>To run multiple AWS apps, you'd either have to use non-standard http
>ports, separate machines for each app, or put all your AWS apps into the
>same AWS server program.

Why not let AWS offer only a CGI feature(?), which runs programs and
provides:
 * a standard input, a standard output, and
 * a string to string lookup function.

I suppose there is no plan for AWS plug-ins (Mr Anisimkov didn't write
on that so I speculate here).

If there is a CGI feature then I'd hope that the reading and
writing can occur simultaneously. Apache probably can't do that.

Also to prove that AWS is a great Ada 200x 'app', it would be possible
to nest over 25 AWS programs inside of each other.

That involves replacing sockets with bidirectional pipes.

Any reasoning for not having that. In my proxy I had tasks pairs
implement virtual TCP sockets (inside of an Ada 95 proxy), and I got
bidirectional TCP data through 100 virtual Ada-ized TCP connections.

The feature is there to allow things like the layering of SSL
encryption.

---

An SSL https webserver running in Windows that might run better than
AWS, is this pre-packaged Apache webserver:

    http://www.opensa.org/about/features/

    The "OpenSA web server".

Craig Carey

Ada 95 symbolic algebra program: http://tope.tigris.org/