[AWS] Deploying an AWS program

Jacob Sparre Andersen sparre at nbi.dk
Wed Jun 23 16:52:35 CEST 2004

Ted Dennison wrote:

> I think it may be technically necessary. You can't run
> multiple web servers (on port 80) on the same machine at
> the same time, can you?

Yes and no.

No, only one program can actually listen on any specific
port.

But yes, you can insert a proxy, which listens on the chosen
port (80), and redirects the requests internally to other
ports depending on the host name given in the HTTP request.

> So if you want to use the standard HTTP port, the server
> can't already have a different webserver running on 80.

Not quite true.

> To run multiple AWS apps, you'd either have to use
> non-standard http ports, separate machines for each app,
> or put all your AWS apps into the same AWS server program.

Not quite true.  You can - as described above - make several
different AWS instances available from port 80 on the same
machine, as long as you have different host names (or some
other method) to address the individual instances.

And if you use virtual hosts/jail, you can probably even let
all the AWS instances believe that they are actually working
on port 80.

Jacob
--
"In space, no-one can press CTRL-ALT-DEL"
                                        -- An Ada programmer